Identity Theft Prevention/Identity Theft

I recently got contacted through email by a company that obtained my resume through a job search site offering a part time position as a gift-wrapper. Ended up disclosing my full name, email, home address, cell phone number, as well as scanned signature. All interactions were through email and the more I read into the situation the more it all seemed like a cyber scam/attempt at identity theft. I was wondering if you could offer any advice as to what steps I should take now to protect myself. Also, with the information that I disclosed to the scammer how much damage will be caused? In other words, I didn't provide any other information such as social security, bank/credit card account numbers, but is it possible they can now access that information with the basic information I disclosed?
Thanks for your advice and help.

ANSWER: Jessica,

You're right to have some concern, but I'd suggest that you start with verifying that the company that received your information is legitimate.  

Other than your scanned signature, the information you provided is not sensitive in itself.  I don't know why they would have needed your signature, but that's the only item that creates any potential vulnerability.

Here are some considerations, and possible steps for you to take:

How long ago was your e-mail exchange with them?  Have you had any indication of the status of your job application?  Have you looked at their web page?  (That would be the ".com" location in their e-mail address.)  Were there any phone numbers in their correspondence or names of individuals you could call to find out the status of your application?  Try to follow up & find out about the job (since that was the original reason for your communications).

Be on the lookout for any unusual communications (calls, e-mails, or snail mail) that could have come as a result of your exchange with this company.

If you have more questions, or wish to send additional information, I'll respond to follow-up from you.

I hope that helps.

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick response. After some research I believe I have fallen for a reshipping job scam. Should have been more alert from the beginning. I got offered the position to receive gifts at my home address to repack and reship. All communications were via emails and I was unable to obtain information on company address or phone number. Their website did not seem legitimate. Could my signature be potentially used for fraudulent activity? Any suggestions as to what I should do next? Should I report this incident or just remain on the lookout?

Thanks again for your help.

I hope you had a good weekend.

At this point, I don't think there is much you can do to prevent or inoculate against unauthorized use of your digital signature.

I would suggest, however, keeping close tabs on any unusual mail, e-mail, financial account, or other communications to assure that you can take early action in the event that such misuse occurs.

I did an online search of the term "reshipping scam" and would recommend that you do the same.  You can find additional information there.

Be particularly aware of any new communications that include any reference to any of the information you submitted in this case.

I hope this does not continue, and that you can get on with life with no further implications.  

Identity Theft Prevention

Yan Ross

Certified Identity Theft Risk Management Specialist (CITRMS) -- providing responses to questions on identity theft prevention and restoration for consumers and holders of protected information (Personally Identifiable Information)

Recognized and quoted authority in the area of Identity Theft. Principal Contributing Author to the Identity Theft Risk Management Study Guide published by the Institute of Consumer Financial Education. Frequent lecturer on this subject to attorneys and other professionals, as well as law enforcement and community groups.

Bachelor of Arts, Princeton University -- Juris Doctor, Yale Law School -- Accredited Educator for numerous professional disciplines