Identity Theft Prevention/QUESTION ID PROTECTION

QUESTION: Ysn Hi, I  have a question in regards to a persons Social Security Number. What can another person find out about you in regards to your Bank accounts, IRA, Stock accounts etc.  I have signed up with the big three identy services which is ok for credit cards. My question is how do you protect yourself for anyone looking at your assets and can you tell if someone has been looking at any of your accounts.  How would you hanfle this. Thank you Ken

ANSWER: Hello, Kenny.

I can give you some general answers, though you would have to be more specific about your concerns for a more specific answer.

In general, if someone wants to find out information about you, they can access it from the credit reporting agencies, assuming they can qualify to get a creditor account or other legitimate means of getting your credit report (could be for employment or as a tenant in a rental property, for instance).

Your bank account information is available to anyone to whom you write a check, since the bank's name, routing number, and your account number all appear on the check.

I'm not sure which services you have chosen as the "big three identity services," but their basic services are mainly monitoring activity in your credit reports, and then taking steps to restore your identity in the event someone uses it in an inappropriate manner.

If you are concerned about a specific abuse of your personal information, you may send a follow-up question.

I hope that helps.

QUESTION: Yan, my specific question is this,  if a person has your social security number can someone see a listing of all your each asset accounts, how much money in each one, account numbers, specific net worth. The montering system are the big three, EXPERIAN and other two.  Thanks again Kenny

ANSWER: Kenny,

Please excuse my delay in responding; my day's been a train wreck....

Anyway, your follow-up question appears to be not about credit reports, but about access to deposit and other financial accounts.  

An individual who has found out your Social Security Number cannot, only with that and your name and address (for instance), get access to information on your assets.

The main exception I can think of immediately would be for a law enforcement investigation, with a subpoena or court order.  You would not necessarily be advised of such disclosure.

Another exception would be in a debtor's examination, where you would receive a subpoena requiring you to disclose such information.  Of course, you would be aware of this disclosure.

None of this type of disclosure would appear in your credit report, so the credit report monitoring services would not advise you of such disclosures.

i hope that helps.

QUESTION: Yan Hi thank you for all of your help,  one more question,  since credit reports will not show me is someone is looking at my assets, are there other reports, or other ways to see if someone has reviewed my assets utilizing my social security number. Thanks again Kenny

Very briefly, as far as I can see, the only way you would know if someone (other than law enforcement) is looking at your assets, by contacting the bank or other financial institution where you have accounts, would be if they received your permission in advance.

Be aware that you may have given such permission in documents you may have signed in applying for a loan.  That would usually be a large loan, such as a mortgage or for a business.

With so many loans that have been based on false or exaggerated information, lenders now are taking more steps to confirm claimed assets as well as income in making loan decisions.

If there is someone specific you are concerned about, and you do have a loan application pending, you might just ask them.

I hope that helps.  

Identity Theft Prevention

Yan Ross

Certified Identity Theft Risk Management Specialist (CITRMS) -- providing responses to questions on identity theft prevention and restoration for consumers and holders of protected information (Personally Identifiable Information)

Recognized and quoted authority in the area of Identity Theft. Principal Contributing Author to the Identity Theft Risk Management Study Guide published by the Institute of Consumer Financial Education. Frequent lecturer on this subject to attorneys and other professionals, as well as law enforcement and community groups.

Bachelor of Arts, Princeton University -- Juris Doctor, Yale Law School -- Accredited Educator for numerous professional disciplines