Iguanas/My Iguana has a sore and red tongue

My Iguana is 17 years old. Has never had any medical problems. Yesterday when I was feeding it a banana I noticed that there was a sore and red bigger area on the tongue. Is this some kind of sickness or what can this be a indication of? Thank You for your help!
Best Regards

Hi Michaela,
Congrats on having a 17 yr old iguana!!! Is it possible he licked a heat source?  It looks like that may be what happened.
He may also have bitten his own tongue.
The tip of their tongue is always a darker red than the rest of the tongue but in the picture that looks like it is behind the forked tip of his tongue.
There really isn't anything that you can use in  the mouth that you would have access to without a vet.
I would see if you can find IF he may have burned it on a light or other heat source. Keep a close eye on it and if it starts to even get worse a tiny bit, I would get a vet appointment.

I am well versed in all aspects of the care and keeping of green iguanas. This includes all husbandry issues pertaining to the Green Iguana. I am not a vet so I cannot answer medical questions, other than ideas for normal supplementation, removing stuck shed, dropped tail and mites and other general health questions

I own 3 green iguanas, two of which are rescues. I've had my Iguanas for 11 years. I own a yahoo group dedicated to raising healthy iguanas. I've rescued and rehabbed several young iguanas and have placed them in wonderful forever homes. I prefer taking in the "hard cases" that need critical care.

Scales and Tails Exotic Pet Rescue (one of the founding members)

One of the Co Authors of the Book "The Iguana Dens Care and Keeping of Giant Green Iguanas"

I was a vet tech for a small animal practice for 6 years.

I own a yahoo group dedicated to raising healthy iguanas.(babyiguana) I have answered several Iguana questions on the "reptile" forum on here.