Image Consulting/what to wear to a restaurant

Question
   I'm a 63-year-old woman who has never been anywhere close to being a fashion plate. My normal dress is very casual - corduroys and a sweater or flannel shirt are my usual dress in the winter. I have just been invited to dinner by a man I met online. The restaurant is described as having a business casual dress code. I was going to wear a nice black fleece dress that I have - 3/4 sleeves, a scoop neck, A-line. My son, who is 30, was horrified. He said it would be better to wear slacks and a sweater. His wife suggested that I could wear the dress I wore to their summer wedding with a cardigan.
    What are your thoughts? I am living on a tight budget. I am not about to go out and spend a lot of money on a fancy dress. My feeling is that if this man finds my dress unacceptable, then we are probably not suited for each other anyway. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
     Jeanne

Answer
Dear Jeanne,

You can look fabulous and remain comfortable at the same time.  I would suggest that you wear  a classic wool or knit dress or a pair of black trousers and a dressy blouse. You can dress up either outfit by wearing a pearl necklace and matching earrings or a nice pair of earrings without necklace.

You don't have to spend lots of money to look your best but should have these basic items as part of your wardrobe.

On another note, I know for a fact that your appearance DOES MATTER and you really want to make a favorable impression! Please know that it's not only about the way you dress that will be remembered.  To portray a polished and presentable image other factors must be considered including your grooming, behavior and conversation skills.  

Enjoy your evening out!

Fashionably Yours,

Magoe  

Image Consulting

Magoe Johnson