You are here:

Immigration Issues/10 year resident permit


My husband received his 10 year permit last year but now we are thinking about moving to The Netherlands to take care of his mother for a few years. How will this effect his visa? Does he have to return to the US every year for a certain amount of time to keep it? He doesn't want to lose it for eventually we will be returning to the US to live permantently.

Thanks for your help,



Unfortunately, visas and even permanent resident cards no longer hold up when the individual leaves the country for 12 months or more.

He could return once a year and establish residence in America to prove he has no left for good. The work and expense involved outweighs keeping the visa.

Your best bet would be to announce departure for however long you choose and return by re-applying for another visa. Attempting to retain a visa in the U.S. while having a "sabbatical" in another country is frowned upon in the states.

You may also choose to contact an attorney to see if anything can be done legally to retain the current visa without interruption.

Keep me posted!


Anai Rhoads

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Anai Rhoads


I can answer questions relating to immigration and policy post 911. If you`re interested in the history behind it or just want current updates, feel free to ask me.


I have interviewed, researched and written about this topic since 911.

Organizations, where you can find other articles I have written. I belong to the ACLU, Amnesty International to name a few.

Publications,,, New California Media, and several others.
I do not answer INS questions.

©2017 All rights reserved.