Immigration Issues/i-130 petition for mother

Question
My wife (a naturalized US citizen from Honduras)wants to petition for her mother filing a i-130.  Her mother is in Houston, TX right now with a tourist visa.  Would there be complications if she petitioned for her now while she is in TX on a tourist visa?  Would her mother have to return to Honduras for any reason or could she remain in Houston during the entire application process?  Any other details to be aware of in this case?

Alexis

Answer
No. In fact it would be quite easy. At the same time that she petitions for the Immediate Relative Petition, she would also prepare an Application for Adjustment of Status. That means that she could stay in the US legally while she waited for the visa to be approved, and when approved she would be adjusted here instead of in Honduras.

Good luck, and please let me know if you need any assistance. I am in Houston and can help.

Alexander J. Hay