You are here:

Immigration Issues/i-130 petition for mother


My wife (a naturalized US citizen from Honduras)wants to petition for her mother filing a i-130.  Her mother is in Houston, TX right now with a tourist visa.  Would there be complications if she petitioned for her now while she is in TX on a tourist visa?  Would her mother have to return to Honduras for any reason or could she remain in Houston during the entire application process?  Any other details to be aware of in this case?


No. In fact it would be quite easy. At the same time that she petitions for the Immediate Relative Petition, she would also prepare an Application for Adjustment of Status. That means that she could stay in the US legally while she waited for the visa to be approved, and when approved she would be adjusted here instead of in Honduras.

Good luck, and please let me know if you need any assistance. I am in Houston and can help.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.