Immigration Issues/I-130- petition for a relative.

Question
My brother, who is a citizen, filed for my change of status in 2001. He also filed for my mother. My mother became a legal resident and applied for me in 2003. Which date should I go by and what is the average time that I must wait?
I am living in the U.S. ilegally, and I will graduate from college in a year. Can I expect any news before I graduate?

Answer
There is a question as to whether you can even get a green card without leaving the US.  If you leave the US, you will not be permitted to reenter for 10 years.  It all depends on the date that your brother filed for you.  How long it takes depends on what country yoiu are from and your marital status.  You need to look at the visa bulletin, which is published monthly by the Department of State.  See http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html

James D. Mills, Esq.