Immigration Issues/The I-130


i just filed an I-130 form for my husband. he is a mexican citizen and is illegal in this country. i am a US citizen. the guy at the INS office said that at some point my husband will be asked to exit the counrty and not return until he has his green card. is this true? is it because we live in san diego county, calif.?
they also said he can not enter back through tijuana when he has his green card, he has to enter through ciudad juarez/texas. i really need help! how do i go about getting him at least a work permit, and without leaving the US. our jobs are here, our life is here.

You need to retain an attorney!  If your husband has been in the US for more than 1 year illegally, he will NOT be permitted to reenter the US for TEN YEARS if he leaves.  Depending on your situation, he probably can't adjust his status in the US and, by filing the I-130, you gave Immigration and Customs Enforcement all the information they need to pick him up and place him in deportation proceedings.

You need an experienced attorney to help you.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.