Immigration Issues/I-131 and traveling

Question
I have filed the I-485 and I-131 for my husband, who is currently in the US on an F1 visa.  He is a graduate student and will need to travel for field research.  What happens if he needs to travel before the I-131 gets approved.  Does that mean that USCIS considers his application abandoned?  Will he be able to re-enter through the F-1 visa?

Answer
If he leaves before the I-131 is issued, then he will not be able to come back until the I-131 is issued and forwarded to him, or when the I-130 is approved and processed through the consulate in his home country. The F visa is terminated when you filed the I-130.

Alexander J. Hay