Immigration Issues/I-131 and traveling


I have filed the I-485 and I-131 for my husband, who is currently in the US on an F1 visa.  He is a graduate student and will need to travel for field research.  What happens if he needs to travel before the I-131 gets approved.  Does that mean that USCIS considers his application abandoned?  Will he be able to re-enter through the F-1 visa?

If he leaves before the I-131 is issued, then he will not be able to come back until the I-131 is issued and forwarded to him, or when the I-130 is approved and processed through the consulate in his home country. The F visa is terminated when you filed the I-130.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.