Immigration Issues/I-94 -last name missing-Query from USCIS- URGENT help please

Question
my h1b visa expires on 31 december 2007,
i have applied for extension and the petition is pending with USCIS from september 13 , 2007.
Now i received a notice from USCIS about my last name is missing in my I-94 form which i missed to write when i last entered US.
they asked me to submit supporting documents proving that iam the same person entered the United States, as per the visa issued to me and my passport holding my name with last name.
they want to know whether i have changed my name, if so relevant documents etc.
I have not changed my name , instead i forgot / made mistake to write my last name .
Is there any way i can get the I-94 endorsed from the US authority
what to do now?
what are all the relevant documents i need to produce
what about my status of stay here now ?
am afraid
please help me

Answer
Brook,
If you received a RFE from the Service, you should respond with your immigration documentation (passport, original H-1B approval, Drivers License,letter from your employer stating you are one in the same) and a brief letter from you explaining what happened. Since they have not denied your application for extension you must respond or it will act as a withdrawal and the Service will deny your application.  Right now you can continue to work as your case is pending.  If it gets denied then you are out of status and must leave immediately.
Without knowing more specifics that is all I can tell you at this time.  It would be wise to schedule a formal consultation with an immigration lawyer to make sure your response in well done.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley
www.ashleykrishnan.com  

Mark Ashley