Immigration Issues/F-1 marrying US Citizen Needs to leave country for health reasons

Question

Hi

I am an F-1 visa holder in good standing and enrolled in university.  My Visa expires in August. I wish to marry my fiance a US citizen in the US in the next couple of weeks and then file for an adjustment of status, green card, EAD, and Advance Parole document.

The only problem is that I will need to return to my home country within two months of getting married for medical treatment.

If we file our I-130, I-485, I-795 and I-131 jointly the day after we are married how long will it be before I can get the I-131?

Given that I need to return to my home country for medical care can I get an emergency I-131?

Thanks so much!

Answer

Since it can take 3 or 4 months for advance parole document to be issued, I recommend that after all forms (including I-131) are filed with the USCIS by mail, that you make an appointment with the local USCIS office through Infopass: https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php and go in-person with evidence that there is an emergency which requires issuance of emergency advance parole document.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora