You are here:

Immigration Issues/F1-Student and US citizenship through marriage


I am a student with F-1 status and my visa is expired. I am currently a student and have my I-20 up-to-date. I have been dating my girlfriend (who is a US citizen) for four years and am wondering what steps we need to take to go about getting married and changing my status where I can work legally in the US and eventually become a US citizen. How long will it take for me to be able to work from the time we file? Do we get married first and then fill out the other papers or where do we even begin?

Get married and then file for the adjustment of status.  At the same time you file the adjustment of status you could file for an employment authorization card.  It usually takes around three months or less to get the card.  Once you receive the card you can work for any employer in the US.  Good Luck.
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]