Immigration Issues/Green card question

Question
This question isn't that specific but I'd be grateful for any advice. I'm a British citizen that gained LPR status in January 2007 through my dad, and I've been living in the US since June of 2007. I would like to go back to the UK to study for a degree, which is 3 years in duration. However I'm aware that if I am seen to be living abroad I could lose my green card.
I would be able to travel back to the US every 6 months, but I'm worried about losing my green card if immigration decides I've abandoned my status. Can you please advise me on any ways to get around this issue, if I can apply to study abroad, or if it'd be better to stay in the US. Thankyou

Answer

If you are planning on entering the U.S. every six months, you will not be asked any questions at the port-of-entry about your U.S. residence, since entry at least every six months is evidence that you have not abandoned your U.S. residence.

If you will be entering the U.S. less often (say at least once per year), then you should be ready to provide documentary  evidence of your U.S. residence such as evidence of payment of taxes, having a home in the U.S. (whether you own or rent, etc.), and other evidence such as having a bank account, cell phone, utility bill, library card, driver's license, evidence of employment or study in the U.S., etc. is also considered as evidence in determining whether you have a residence in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora