Immigration Issues/H1 processing

I have been working with Company A since April 2004. I came to US in Dec 2005 on L1 B for Company A. My L1 Visa and I-94 are going to expire on 18th October 2008. I am traveling to India on Vacation in March 2008 and thereafter again going back to India in August 2008. I have plans to be in India till Nov 2008. Now, following are my questions:

1) Company B is willing to process my H1B Visa. Is it a good idea to transfer from L1 to H1 or process H1 separately?
  Note:- My understanding is that if I opt for L1 to H1 transfer I'll have to provide a copy of I-94. This may cause problem as I am traveling to India in between of my H1 processing. If I process H1 separately I don't have to give a copy of I-94.

2) If my H1 gets approved by June-July 2008 and is effective from Oct 1, 2008, can I still continue working for Company A in India say till Nov 2008 and then go for stamping for H1 in India from Company B?

3) How long can I hold H1 approved petition from Company B without stamping and continue working for Company A?

3) Do I have to resign from Company A before I go for H1 stamping. Can I still continue working in India for Company A even I get my H1 stamping done for Company B.

1.  the decision to file a change of status or visa processed would depend on your personal travel situation.  Filing it either way will not affect the approval.
2.  you can work for  company A to Z while in India.  There are no restrictions.
3.  no definite time period but the USCIS will decide based upon a bona fide job offer existing and a reasonable time.
3b.  No.  Refer to answer above.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient