Immigration Issues/J-1 waiver to H-1B to green card

I was granted a J-1 waiver in 2006 (has 3 year requirement of employment with my current job sponsor) and now on H-1B. My commitment ends June 2009.  I also got married to a US citizen last fall 2007.  When can I start the process of "greencard through marriage"?  Since I have my H-1B until July 2009, do I still need the I-765 application for employment with the rest of the I-140, I-485, etc.

You may begin the process now.  In fact you could have filed everything as early as you marraige date.  If you wish to stay on H you do not need an EAD but if you desire to work for another employer or a non H employer then I would suggest that you file for the EAD with the adjustment of status documents.  it usually takes three months to receive.
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient