Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 transfer

Question

I entered US on L1B visa from company A and Company B had applied for my H1B visa. I did not want to join Company B on Oct 1st 2007, since the project from company A needed me.
Since I had to stay for more that 60 days with company A, I went to Canada and got my L1 Visa stamped.

Now in January 2008, I want to move to company B and to H1B status. How should I change to company B. Is it mandatory to get my visa stamped to override L1 with H1 status or there any papers that I can submit to change the status in U.S. itself?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kondala.

Answer

In order to work for Co. B, you can either go to a U.S. Consulate outside the U.S. and enter the U.S. on H-1B visa stamp, or you can have Co. B file another H-1B petition for you requesting change of status from L1 to H-1B. When the petition is approved, you can join Co. B.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora