Immigration Issues/L2 to EAD


Hello Mr. Ramaswamy,

I hold an L2 visa and have just arrived in the United States.  I understand that I would have to apply for SSN and EAD to start working here.  Would you know how long does it normally take till I can actually work?  I have heard from some people that it's usually 30 days.  Some have said minimum 90 days.  Please advise.


You can begin work only after your EAD is approved. The time frame for the USCIS to approve your application normally takes from 2-3 months. There is no definite time frame available for this your friends are right.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.