Immigration Issues/LLC - Member Manager or Manager Managed (H1B)

Question
Dear Mr.Hay - Four of us want to form an LLC, two of us are on our H1B with a different company. Without giving up our current H1B job, we (The H1B holders) would like to become passive investors in this new venture. Should we form a manager managed or a member managed. Wouldnt forming a member managed LLC automatically construe a violation of a H1B since, it means you are involved in management and thereby working?

Answer
Neither would cause a problem, although for various reasons I favor a Manager managed LLC.

"Working" in the USA means working for an employer who is PAYING you for your services. If you are not receiving a salary, then you are not working. Being a Member of a Member managed LLC does not impute this.

Good luck, and please contact me if you need help with the formation of the LLC. There are a few tricks you need to know to save you some taxes and some trouble.

Alexander J. Hay