Immigration Issues/Marriage to an Alaskan

Question
I am a Canadian Citizen and my fiance is a US citizen in Alaska where I am "visiting" right now. We wish to marry this Spring in Canada and then move back to Alaska. I just want to know where to get started on the paperwork needed to make this move possible!

Answer
Well you will need to get married first. In my opinion you would be wise to go the US and get married there. Then when you are legally in the US, your new husband can file for your petition, adjustment of status, a temporary work authorization, etc.. These matters can take years to resolve, and I think it would be better to be able to live together while you are waiting! If you get married in Canada you will need to work through the local US Consulate (I don't know which one is closest to you) and that will take however long it takes and you will not be able to enter the US until your visa is actually issued.  

Good luck.

Alexander J. Hay