You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage to an Alaskan


I am a Canadian Citizen and my fiance is a US citizen in Alaska where I am "visiting" right now. We wish to marry this Spring in Canada and then move back to Alaska. I just want to know where to get started on the paperwork needed to make this move possible!

Well you will need to get married first. In my opinion you would be wise to go the US and get married there. Then when you are legally in the US, your new husband can file for your petition, adjustment of status, a temporary work authorization, etc.. These matters can take years to resolve, and I think it would be better to be able to live together while you are waiting! If you get married in Canada you will need to work through the local US Consulate (I don't know which one is closest to you) and that will take however long it takes and you will not be able to enter the US until your visa is actually issued.  

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.