Immigration Issues/Phd Visa for wife

Question
My husband is applying for a PHD in the US, and I want to know what kind of visa do I get (for just being his significant other) and if can I work there during his studies.
We are not US citizens, but we have a Social Security Number.

Answer
Maria Jose,
If you are husband is entering the US on a F or J visa you can enter as a derivative. The F visa will not allow you to work, however a J-2 visa will allow you to work. However, the J visa has certain restrictions such as requiring a two year foreign residence requirement prior to changing to any status in the US.

Best of luck.
Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan