Immigration Issues/Phd Visa for wife


My husband is applying for a PHD in the US, and I want to know what kind of visa do I get (for just being his significant other) and if can I work there during his studies.
We are not US citizens, but we have a Social Security Number.

Maria Jose,
If you are husband is entering the US on a F or J visa you can enter as a derivative. The F visa will not allow you to work, however a J-2 visa will allow you to work. However, the J visa has certain restrictions such as requiring a two year foreign residence requirement prior to changing to any status in the US.

Best of luck.
Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.