Immigration Issues/RE: Green Card Issue


Hi Alexander:

I had my green card since 1999, and i could apply for a citizen anytime (but I didnít).  The green card will be expired on March 2009.  I just found a job in Hong Kong, so i need to move back on March.  Is there any suggestions for me to keep my green card?

- My parents already gave up their green cards.
- How long does reentry permit process?  How much is the fee?

Thanks a lot.  

First of all, your "green card" is expiring on March 2009, but not your visa. The residence visa is good as long as you meet certain qualifications. The card itself expires much like a credit card. It simply needs to be replaced.

On the other hand, you can lose the Residence Visa if you leave the USA for more than 1 year without returning or without obtaining an advanced parole re-entry permit.

As for you other questions I suggest you look to the US Immigration website as they have the most up to date information possible there.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.