Immigration Issues/RE: Green Card Issue

Question
Hi Mark,

I had my green card since 1999, and i could apply for a citizen anytime (but I didnít).  I just found a job in Hong Kong, so i need to move back on March.  Is there any suggestions for me to keep my green card?

P.S.
- My parents already gave up their green cards.
- How long does reentry permit process?  How much is the fee?

Thanks a lot.  

Answer
Nick,
You can apply for a reentry permit which will allow you to be out of the US for two years without surrendering your green card.  After that you need to maintain residence or intend to stay in the US to retain your permanent residency.  However, this issue arises only if the USCIS believes that you are not maintaining a permanent residence.  To do this will be attorney fees of $500.00 plus the applicable filing fees charged by the USCIS.
Mark Ashley
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Mark Ashley