You are here:

Immigration Issues/Visa for girlfriend (wife)


I am a UK company director and am moving to Houston very soon (from Scotland) in order to do some set up work for a new company in Houston in which I have shares.

I have applied for (and been granted) an L1A visa which I believe will also cover my children.  The problem is that even though I have 2 daughters with my girlfriend, we have never seemed to find the time to get married.

As she is a Spanish citizen, she can enter the US for 90 days on the visa waiver program but I fear she may have problems staying beyond that.

We could easily get married out in Houston but I am scared that this may be seen as some kind of fraudulent act.

My girlfriend is well qualified academically with a phd in economics and it is likely that she could be granted a work visa if she wanted to work in the US, but our youngest daughter is only 8 months old so this is very unlikely.

..any advice appreciated

Besides getting married and applying for her L-2 visa along with your children, I do not know of any other quicker option.  There are options like H visa but she would need an employer an wait until Oct, 2008.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.