You are here:

Immigration Issues/f1 student married a US citizen



i got married to a US citizen last year.. I'm a student holding F1 visa. is it true that we need to provide 3 previous tax to file I-130? what are really the requirements? thanks for your help.

The documents needed for the immigration petition (I-130) are as follows:

  1. Copy of the U.S. citizen's Birth Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship;
  2. Marriage certificate between the alien spouse and the U.S. citizen;
  3. Divorce decrees showing the termination of all prior marriages of the alien spouse and the U.S. citizen; and
  4. Two recent color photos of the U.S. citizen and two recent color photos of the alien spouse.

The documents needed for an adjustment of status application (I-485) are as follows:

  1. Two recent identical color photos of the alien spouse;
  2. Medical exam report I-693 and supplement of the alien spouse (sealed);
  3. Evidence of financial condition of the alien spouse if he or she has a job:
     ---Job letter on business letterhead;
     ---W-2 forms for past three years;
  4. Evidence of financial support for the alien spouse:
     ---The sponsor's employment verification letter on business letterhead;
     ---The sponsor's W-2 forms for past three years;
  5. Copy of the alien spouse's passport, visas, and I-94;
  6. Documents showing alien spouse's legal status after coming to the U.S., such as the alien spouse's I-797, I-20, IAP-66; and
  7. Marriage certificate.

If your husband cannot provide three years then he should provide what years he does have if applicable.  If he does not have this information because he is a student etc. then you should find a co-sponsor for the application that can show financial support for you.

Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.