You are here:

Immigration Issues/f1 visa to greencard help fast



My husband came as an F-1 visa.  I am a US citizen and we got married 9/2007/ We just sent his application for green card.  I called the US immigration and they said as long as the application has been sent he is now on the safe side meaning he will not be arrested for not attending school.  Is this true? I just want to make sure.  The college international advisor has already threatened him telling him if he does not register for classes she will report him.  Also he has been here since july 2006 and has not missed one semester.  He even asked her just to waive one semester and he will attend the next semester but she refused and told him she will report him.   if she reports him will he be arrested even after we send in our papers?  also i called immigration they told me if we cannot afford the fees to go ahead and right a letter explaining why we need our fees waived.  What are the chances of the fee being waived?

I assume that you have filed all appropriate paperwork to adjust your husband's status.  If that is true, then he does not need to maintain his student status since he is considered authorized period of stay.  You should consult an attorney to make sure all paperwork is in order.  
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.