Immigration Issues/f1 visa to greencard



My husband came as an F-1 visa.  I am a US citizen and we got married 9/2007/ We just sent his application for green card.  I called the US immigration and they said as long as the application has been sent he is now on the safe side meaning he will not be arrested for not attending school.  Is this true? I just want to make sure.  The college international advisor has already threatened him telling him if he does not register for classes she will report him.  Also he has been here since july 2006 and has not missed one semester.  He even asked her just to waive one semester and he will attend the next semester but she refused and told him she will report him.   if she reports him will he be arrested even after we send in our papers?  also i called immigration they told me if we cannot afford the fees to go ahead and right a letter explaining why we need our fees waived.  What are the chances of the fee being waived?

It sounds like you are dealing with either a very ignorant person, or someone who is too involved to deal with issues. Now if she is ignorant, and will not learn, there is nothing you can do.  However, if she is simply over eager in that she wants your husband to complete his education, then that may be a flaw in her personality but can at least be forgiven.

Now in the last part of your question, you ask a strange question about filing fees??? In the first part you say that you have filed the documents? If you have filed the documents, then you should have included the filing fees, or included a request to have them waived. What have you done????

What you should have filed is the Petition, the Adjustment of Status and the Temporary Work Authorization.  If you did not do so, then you have made a serious error and should do more research or get professional help.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]