You are here:

Immigration Issues/illegal married to US citizen


My aunt who entered the country legally by getting married to Us citizen but things didn't work out between them and she divorced him before the NIS interview and got married to another US citizen again and had a child with him now. She has been here for 10 years. She is afraid that she will be separated from her family and does not let her husband file I-30. What could be happening to her?

Wow!  Well if that is what she wants to do then so be it. As to what is happening to her only a Psychiatrist could help her. She needs to go to an attorney and have the attorney explain everything to her. He or she will charge her, but it will be worth it. If she entered legally, and is married to a US citizen, then she qualifies for a Permanent Resident Visa. Simple as that. But if she wants to live the way she is living, that is up to her. I frankly do not understand what she is thinking or what her fears are. What ever they are, the fears are unreasonable and not based on fact.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]