Immigration Issues/marriage

Question
My girlfriend lives in Canada and i live in the US. We would like to get married in the future but not sure on how thing would work with the citizenship. If we got married in canada would i lose my citizenship in the us or if we married in the US would she lose her canadian citizen?

Answer
No one needs to lose there citizenship. The issue is not citizenship but residence visa. Where do you both want to live after you get married? If the USA, then I would suggest she come to the US and then get married to you here so that you can petition for her residence visa. If you want to live in Canada afterward, I would suggest the opposite. Neither of you will be come a citizen automatically, and in fact neither of you will even receive a residence visa (a right to live and work) without first getting married and applying for it.

Please note that I do not advise you to get married in Canada and then try to come to the USA to live. In order for your wife to come to the US, she would need to first apply in Canada through the US Consulate to obtain the visa. This will be a long and irritating process.  It will be long and irritating if you wait to get married when she is in the US, and then file while she is in the us (legally) but at least she will be able to get a work authorization while she is waiting, and of course, you will both be living together.

Good luck.

Alexander J. Hay