Immigration Issues/re-entry permit


my mother is a green card holder and next month will be her 5th month staying in India. She filed for the I-131 and her re-entry permit is pending. She NEEDS to stay abroad for at least another 5/6 months since my brothers are going to school in India and my grandfather is sick. For her green card not to be canceled, she must return to the US within 6 months. Can come back for a week just to keep her green card active and go back to India again? Meaning, She comes to the US during the 5th month for  a week and go back to India again for another 5 months? Will her green card be canceled?

Her green card will not be cancelled as long as she can prove that she is a US permanent resident. That is she has residence,banking,taxes, and such in the US. The strategy you state will only shift the burden of proof on the USCIS to prove that she is not a permanent resident. So some people adopt it. But it is no way to be misconstrued to mean that she will continue to be a permanent resident of the US if she comes every six months into the US.
The re-entry permit will allow her to stay outside the US for longer than six months.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.