Immigration Issues/about the H1B


I have a two questions actually
1) My H1B has been effective from oct 1, 2008 from one of the IT consltancy. If I want to transfer to non-IT sector, do I have to process for transfer or file a new H1B filing from that non-IT company? Do I need the previous H1B approval notice for the new filing or transfer?

2) My friend is in H1B effective from same oct 1 2008. But she want to change her status to F1 again. Does she need the paycheck or something or any copy of H1B approval for that?

thank you for your time and valuable suggestions

1)  To switch to a new H1b employer, they will need to file a new H1b.  You will usually need a copy of the approved H1b to file with the new application.  If the employer will not provide a copy, I would recommend that you talk to the attorney handling the case and he is required to provide you a copy free of charge.
2) Your friend may switch to F1 from H1. I recommend pay stubs and H1b approval to be included in the application.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.