Immigration Issues/J-1 to O-1 visa conversion

Question

I gone through your forum and happy to see your expertise on various subjects. I am currently on J-1 visa and subjected to 212(E) rule. I have already applied for waiver and now processing at dept. of state. My visa stamp in passport was expired but always my DS-2019 was active. Recently I got chance to move from university to industry on O-1 visa. I am planning to convert to O-1 visa without obtaining J-1 waiver. Is am I able to change my status in third country (like Canada) or I have to go back to home country (India) to change my status from J-1 to O-1 visa?. I really appreciate your answer.
thanks, Raghunath

Answer
Raghunath,
That is a good option.  If you are stuck with the residency requirment, O-1 is the best option for you.  You can change from J1 to O1 after the O1 is approved other countries and not have to go home to India.  I have helped numerous people do this.  
Good Luck
Mark Ashley
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Mark Ashley