You are here:

Immigration Issues/J-1 to O-1 visa conversion



I gone through your forum and happy to see your expertise on various subjects. I am currently on J-1 visa and subjected to 212(E) rule. I have already applied for waiver and now processing at dept. of state. My visa stamp in passport was expired but always my DS-2019 was active. Recently I got chance to move from university to industry on O-1 visa. I am planning to convert to O-1 visa without obtaining J-1 waiver. Is am I able to change my status in third country (like Canada) or I have to go back to home country (India) to change my status from J-1 to O-1 visa?. I really appreciate your answer.
thanks, Raghunath

That is a good option.  If you are stuck with the residency requirment, O-1 is the best option for you.  You can change from J1 to O1 after the O1 is approved other countries and not have to go home to India.  I have helped numerous people do this.  
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.