You are here:

Immigration Issues/Lenght of stay outside the country


How long can a person with a Conditional US Permanant Resident Visa stay out of the USA (they've been out for 9 months already)? If they are out for longer than one year, what can they do to come back in? Does the Visa holder or the US petitioner apply for renewal for their Visa?
How does a petitioner stop or cancel the process of a Permanent Resident application when the application is now being handled in the applicant's country?

A person with a conditional PR can stay outside the US for 1 year. After that period the visa becomes void.  You can file for an advance parole re-entry permit, but this should be filed before leaving.

As the rest of your question, it is too long and complicated to deal with here.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.