You are here:

Immigration Issues/Withdrawing Greencard Application


I am currently on an H1-B visa and my employer has applied for a greencard on my behalf (9089 filed in April 2008). Since the filing, my career prospects have changed and a rational career move for me would be to go back to college for an advanced degree.
1) I am assuming there is a way to withdraw my greencard application? If I were to do that, does it hurt my chances of securing a new F-1 visa and filing a new greencard application in the future?
2) Alternatively, I could stay with the company until I received my greencard. I have been told that will take 3-4 years. Given your experience, is that a good estimate?
3) I also have the option to apply for residency through a family member (wife). Does this possibility give me any additional options?

1)  Since filing a PERM appilication alone is not indicative of immigrant intent it will not hinder your filing for a F visa.

2) It depends on what Employoment based category you apply under.

3) I do not know. Again it would depend on your spouse's status. (If she is a US citizen or Permanent resident)

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.