Immigration Issues/I-485

Question
Hello, thanks for helping. I have been on H1 for one year, before that I was on F1 visa. For the last three months I have been on the bench without pay, now it is time for me to apply for green card through the petition my brother filed long time ago. I am protected under 245(i) and have good relation with the employer, only problem is there was no project so I did not get paid. My question is should I apply with the 1000 dollars penalty or just apply as a regular AOS applicant since this is not employment based status adjustment.

Answer

Apply at this time as a regular AOS applicant. If the USCIS later determines that you were in technical violation of your status by not being paid the agreed-upon salary from your employer for the 3 month period prior to I-485 filing, then you will be allowed to pay the penalty fee of $1000 at that time.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora