Immigration Issues/F2 to F1


Hi Mr.Krishnan,
I came here to the United states on a F2 visa to join my  husband who is working now, my husband is now on a F1 opt extn untill march 2010. I would want to know if there is any possiblity on me studying or working here. I am aware that people on a F2 visa cant work or study here. Is it possible to change the visa status to F1,if so how?. As you must be aware that a lot of well qualified people are on F2 visa here in the states are sitting idle at home, it is really frustrating. Thanks in advance for your reply.

You can file for a change of status to F-1. To do so you need to be admitted, obtain an I-20 from the educational institution, and file form I-539 (with supporting documents showing financial ability) for change of status from f-2 to F-1.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.