Immigration Issues/F2-H1


Hello Sir,
I am in a confusing situation! After reading some of your answers I too thought you could help me out!
I appeared for a H1B interview and was issued 221(g) asking for extra documenbts from the petitioner. Having submitted the same I am currently waiting for any response from the US consulate for the past three weeks. Since it is taking quite a while and my husband is on F1 I would like to join him on F2.
1)Is it possible that I go to the US on F2?
2)and when the US consulate is done with its verification convert can I convert my status to H1?
What would you suggest to be the best to do?
Thank you very much,

1.  It is possible to enter on F2.  An application for an H1 does not prevent you doing this.
2.  If in the US on F2 you may have to file for a change of status from F2 to H1.  If you are in India and have already obtained an F2 visa, you may have go to the US consulate and get your H1 visa stamped.

I cannot give you advise on which is best for you.  The old question is love or money.  If you must see your spouse come on F2 if you need money, wait until the H1 is approved.

Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.