Immigration Issues/FNU Problem in VISA

Question
Hello Sir,

I have an Indian passport and my name on it is everything under given name and surname is blank for ex. surname: blank Given name: abcxyz. Now when i got my student visa my name was printed completely opposite to my passport. Name printed in visa..surname:abcxyz and given name: FNU(first Name Unknown). Now that i am in US and about to finish my masters(2 years) I want to get rid off this FNU thing from both my visa and passport. I checked with the Indian consulate in NY and can give my passport for name change. But how can I change my visa? Please explain elaborately on this issue(with respect to time and procedures) as this is crucial for me.

Thank you.

Answer
Saahil,
You may need to change your name in the passport. I do not think that you can change your name on the visa at this time, you can do it when you plan to extend it. Note the USCIS will follow the name as given on your birth certificate. So for any extension in the US you need your birth certificate to correct the error.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan