Immigration Issues/H1 Extension pending

Question
Below are my details,
H1 expiry date - 30Mar 2008
Extension applied - Feb 2008
Got RFE - July 2008
Replied to RFE by company - Aug 2008
Current status - Pending at USCIS
My 240 days get over next week.
1)Can I stay in US after that? If I do not work after 240 days, won't my H1 be out of status.
2)My husband is here on valid H1. Can I file H4? If so, Can I do it now in US only?
3) If I go to India, can I apply for H4 with my current H1 still in pending?
4) Does my husband's company need to file the H4 for me OR  me and my husband can do it own our own.
Please help me out with my questions. I will really appreciate.

Answer

You must temporarily suspend employment with the company after 240 days, but you can still remain legally in the U.S.

You can file for change of status to H4 on your own within the U.S., but you will not be granted change of status to H4 unless the H1B extension is approved first.

You can always depart the U.S. anytime and obtain H4 visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate in your home country.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora