Immigration Issues/H4 stamping with valid L1

Question

Rightnow I'm in India and I have a L1 visa stamp valid till 2011 for my employer in india.

I married a H1 visa holder and I'm planning to appear for H4 stamping this month end in chennai.

My question is,

1. If my H4 visa is approved, will my L1 visa stamp automatically become invalid? Will they stamp Cancelled without prejudice on the L1 stamp?

2. If H4 is rejected, will they still cancel my L1 visa?

3. If H4 is approved and L1 stamp is not cancelled, will I be able to travel on L1 at a later date? without going for stamping again?

Thanks
Jyothi

Answer
Hi Jyothi,

In most cases, the Consulate will cancel the L1 visa stamp if it issues you the H4 visa stamp. If for some reason the Consulate does not issue you the H4 visa stamp (for example, if your husband is not maintaining his H1B status), then the Consulate should not cancel the L1 visa stamp as long as the Consulate is satisfied that you plan on taking up employment with the L1 employer. If the Consulate issues you the H4 visa stamp and does not cancel the L1 visa stamp, then you can enter the U.S. later on L1 visa stamp as long as the purpose of your entry is to be employed by the L1 employer.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora