You are here:

Immigration Issues/Marriage to a foreigner


Dear Sir,
I am a US citizen and a widow.
I am engaged to my brother in law who is a non-American citizen.
Can he, sooner or later, get a green card and become a permanent US resident?
What should he do after we get married to become  a green card holder?
Thank you for your answer.

If in the US your brother in law would need to file an I-130 and I-485 after the marraige if outside the US you would need to file an I-130.   It will take approximately a year for him to get his green card.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.