Immigration Issues/reapply H1B in 4 years

Question
I'm currently on H1B expiring in 9/2011, if i change to another visa for 5 or 6 years, in 6 years, can I re-apply H1B but not going through the lottery, if there is still one? the maximum 6 years of H1B count only the time when I'm actually on H1B, or 6 years from the time it's first activated?

Answer
Kelly,
The 6 year statutory period is counted only for the periods that you are in H status. As the rule stands after a six year gap you will subject to the cap again. But 6 years a long time I do not even want to guess what the rules would be at that time.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan