Immigration Issues/L1A question

Question

I am currently in USA with L1A visa for the last 3 years. My visa is up for renewal in March 2009. Will it be better to apply for a new L1 visa rather than applying for an extension? The reason I am asking is that lately I am hearing a lot of L1 visa extensions being rejected.

Also, I work remotely from a home office though I work for the same company that filed my visa. Will working from a home office cause any problem if I apply for a renewal.

Thank you in advance.

Answer
Hi Sudha,

The L1 petition that is filed should request "extension of status" so that the approval notice (Form I-797) issued by the USCIS will have an I-94 attached to the bottom. This will allow you to continue to remain in the U.S. and remain employed without interruption.

Working from a home office is fine. There is no requirement to disclose this fact to the USCIS, however.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora