Immigration Issues/adjustment of status

Question
My fiance and I are about to be married we have a child together, he is from Trinidad Tobago we met in college and he is now here on a OPT Visa which expires in about a month. I am wondering if there is anything I should know before we file his adjustment of status forms that could make things easier I suppose, as I am terrified of something going wrong with the papers and he having to leave, we don't have the best of luck. thanks if there is any advice you could give it would be so appreciated.

Answer

Upon marriage, you can sponsor your husband so that he can continue to remain in the U.S. until his adjustment of status interview (which you will also need to attend in order to show bonafide marriage), at which point he will become a resident of the U.S. I recommend that he continue to maintain his student status (OPT) at least until the sposorship paperwork has been filed. Please note that if the case is not filed properly (for example, Form I-130 (Petition for alien relative, which you must sign) must be filed concurrently with Form I-485 (adjustment of status application, to be signed by your husband) in order for your husband to continue to remain in the U.S. legally even if he violates his student status after filing.

I recommend that you proceed through an experienced immigration lawyer (such as our law firm) so that your fiance will not miss out on any immigration benefits. You can email our law firm at info@h1b1.com for further guidance such as documents required and legal fees without obligation.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora