Immigration Issues/F1- to marriage


Thankyou so much for reading my question.I have been in F-1 student for 15 years. My dad was a resident but died before 16 years ago. I live with my half-sister who is an American Citizen but she never filed for me because she never really new what to do. I'm now 20 years old and I'm still in college. I have a couple of questions. If i get married to an American Citizen what do we need to do in order for everything to go smoothly? My other question is if i get an H-1 b visa and apply for a green card how long does that process take?How long would it also take for my husband to come here from Dominican Republic as my spouse? Should I file with my sister now just so my name will at least me in the system, and when i apply for a green card it might speed things up?
Thank u

Patricia de hostos,
If you marry a US citizen then you would need to file for your Adjustment of Status application. You will be called for an interview to make sure that your marriage is bona fide and on approval would lead to a green card. This process takes around a year.

I am not sure of your question to marry US citizen and talk about your husban in the Dominion Republic...I would strongly advise you against committing any fraud.

You can request your sister to file for you, but as you stated it would take a long time to obtain your green card.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.