Immigration Issues/H1-b visa to H4 visa conversion

Question

I have H1-b visa. I had to do 3- yr visa extension for another 3 yrs in Nov 1 2007. But I forgot to apply for extension. I have applied for extension in Nov 21 2007 in Normal process. After applying it I checked and sent application fee wrong. So before getting any information from Immigration I have applied again on Dec26th 2007 with premium process. Then my premium file has taken and got receipt number on jan 02 2008. After 3 days I got a mail from immigration need more information by the end of apr 1 2008.
  So I want to apply for H4 visa now without submiiting that information to immigration regarding my h1-b.

My husband has a EAD card. I am planning to apply for H4 visa. How many days it will take to get apply and get approval. I need to get a h4 visa before apr 1 2008.

Please let me know. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
  Jaya

Answer
Hi Jaya,

In order to be granted extension or change of status, you normally must file the appropriate application before the I-94 expires.

My recommendation is for you to travel abroad to be issued H-4 visa at a U.S. Consulate. When you enter the U.S., you will automatically be in H-4 status without any application being filed with the USCIS. If you file an H-4 application at this time with the USCIS, the probability is that it will be denied, and that is why I recommend applying directly for H-4 visa at a Consulate abroad. You should travel outside the U.S. for visa issuance no more than 180 days after Nov. 01, 2007.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora