Immigration Issues/H1B extension

Question
Within the 6 years of an individual's stay in the USA how many times a H1B petition can be extended? H1B is issued from October month, and if an individual moves to the US in following July, he would lose 9 months of initial 3 years of validity of the H1B. He may wish to extend it by another 3 years, and continue to stay upto 5 years and 3 months totally, and H1 petition would expire then.
Can he extend the same petition again for 9 months, to complete permitted 6 years in the US?

Answer
Neil,

An H-1B beneficiary if employed can stay in the US for 6 years. He can recapture any period of stay outside the US. In your case the 6 year clock will start only after you enter the US on H visa.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan