Immigration Issues/Immigration


Dear Sir
I came to USA on F-1 and changed to H-1 and now I decided to go back to F-1.So How long it will take for USCIS for H-1 to F-1 approval. And I heard that sometime the USCIS told to go back to home country to activate the F-1 status but my F-1 visa on my passport is still valid for 2009.Did I also has to go back if they reject my H-1 to F-1 approval in order to activate the F-1 status


To switch from H1 to F1 usually takes a few months.  You should not have to leave the country and you would certainly not have to go back to your home country. If your F1 is denied and your H1 is still valid you could continue to remain employed with the H1 employer.
Good luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.