Immigration Issues/L1 to F1



I have a valid L1 visa and have already visited US a couple of times last year. Currently I am in India and but may have to travel to US again sometime in the next 2 months. Now I just got through in a US Business school and will soon have to apply for F1 visa. My question is what is the procedure for converting L1 to F1 while I am  

(a) in US
(b) in India

If I am in US, will I have to stop working there as soon as I apply for the F1, or as soon as the F1 is approved. Or can I continue to work until my passport is stamped. In other words, my main concern is that if I am in US when I apply for F1, what happens to my L1 and for how long can I continue to work.


If in the US you have to apply for a change of status from L1 to F1.  If in India you have to file for an F1 visa.  The process is similar to your processing the L1 visa but it has different requirments.

If in the US if you change from L1 to F1 you will not be able to work anymore.

Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.