Immigration Issues/L2 to H1B



My wife hold L1 visa from her Company and it is valid till Dec, 2008. I hold L2 visa. I have few questions.

1. Should I apply for EAD only after we both land in the US or is it possible to apply from India before even entering US?

2. If I can apply directly from India before entering US, could you please tell me the procedure?

3. If I can apply only after entering US, then what is the period I sholud wait before I apply for EAD

4. How long is the EAD valid?

5. If I apply for H1B once I get EAD, how long it will take as my L2 visa is valid only till Dec, 2008.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

1) You can apply for EAD only when you are in the US on L-2 status.
2) There is no waiting period
3) A year
4) It would take about 3-4 months, there is an expedited process which would take about 2-3 weeks.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.