Immigration Issues/Marrying a Canadien

Question
Hi im A us Citizen who has a canadien girlfriend with a young baby that she had before we met.She lives in toronto im in denver we want to get married here when she visits next time if we get married here can she stay here with me or will they send her back?Also ive heard she cant get a change of status and greencard so is it betterif she comes on a tourist visa or just use her passport?We really want her to stay and not have to return to Canada Thank You.

Answer
Hi Richard,

Your fiance can travel for up to 180 days without a visa. When she visits you, I recommend waiting for at least 2 months before getting married in order to avoid possible "fraudulent entry" problems in the future. After marriage, the appropriate paperwork such as petition for alien relative and adjustment of status application can be filed concurrently for your wife and step-child. This will allow them to continue to remain legally in the U.S. and to obtain their greencard without having to travel outside the U.S. The appropriate forms can be obtained from www.uscis.gov

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora